Skip to main content

What evidence do I need to get a restraining order for harassment?

San Francisco, CA |

I'm an adult and I have abusive parents who I want to end contact with because of their harassment, I dont have evidence of this except for a witness. Is that enough to get a restraining order against them? will it prevent them from contacting me or my family online like on social media sites?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Hate to hear that your relationship with your parents has deteriorated to the point you want to terminate the relationship.
You should look at Code of Civil Procedure section 527.6(b)
Otherwise, I suppose you could just change contact information and impose on line bli=ocks.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.


It depends on the judge. You should be able to apply for a DV restraining order because of your relationship status. The standard of proof is "reasonable proof of past acts or abuse." If they've been harassing you on social media you should use that as your evidence. Also consider phone records, text messages, e-mails, etc. Good luck!

The information contained on this Web site is provided for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. The reader should not consider this information to be an invitation to an attorney-client relationship, should not rely on information presented here for any purpose, and should always seek the legal advice of counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction. Contacting Stephanie A. Leroux does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to Stephanie A. Leroux unless and until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. This web site and the information contained on this web site are not solicitations.