What does the USCIS mean by 'additional research'?

Nashville, TN |

The i140 was already approved 3 years ago and I'm waiting in my country for consular processing. This is what the NVC sent me;

'USCIS has informed the NVC that additional research is being performed on this case, and it will likely experience additional delays before being sent to NVC for processing. Unfortunately, no timeframe is available as to when this case will be sent to the NVC. As soon as this case is received at the NVC, notification and further instructions will be sent.'

Best Answer

It could be a background check, or the government may be investigating some aspect of your case.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Is it common for USCIS to hold a case and do checks after a case has been approved? The approval notice said they were sending it to the NVC. They haven't asked the petitioner or myself (the beneficiary) for any further information or any RFE's.

Did it say "additional research" or additional processing. The latter means that you are still being reviewed for security. This can sometimes take several years, and it is most common when someone's name is the same as a person on a terrorist watch list.

Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.

It definitely says ' additional research ' and my name is Patel, which is not associated with terrorism. Also this case is an approved case, which was supposed to go from the USCIS to the NVC 3 years ago (according to the approval notice). Now the PD is current so I started looking for the case and found it still at the USCIS. They say they are doing additional research, do you know what they could mean?

government may be investigating some aspect

Hi Alan, Is it common for USCIS to hold a case and do checks after a case has been approved?