Skip to main content

What does Reserve Child support mean?

Saint Paul, MN |

My lawyer asked to ask for reserve child support on my case for 6 months...whats does reserve child support mean?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Because child support is the right of the child, it cannot be permanantly waived by either parent. To reserve child support, then, means that child support will not be addressed or awarded now, but it can always be addressed and awarded in the future.


It means the issue is reserved to the Court and that presently, the court is making no award of child support.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at


Reservation of child support means that an ongoing monthly obligation (to pay $) will not be set at the present time, but may be sought & established at any future time.

Communications made as part of the question and answer forum on AVVO or other initial consultation(s) do not establish an attorney/client relationship. The content of this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a source of solicitation or legal advice. An attorney-client relationship is not formed by viewing this answer or by sending electronic mail to the writer. Further, information contained herein is not to be construed as an invitation for an attorney-client relationship.


It means to hold off on awarding a support amount for 6 months. No one can permanently waive support.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. This answer is not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - it is to be considered only a general response to a hypothetical scenario posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer