Skip to main content

What does it means getting sole physical custody and sharing legal custody? Supervised visitation with this custody arrangement

Minneapolis, MN |

My husband agrees to give me full physical custody and want to share legal custody. He is very abusive to me and since i have safety issues i decide to end this thing soon. Our child is 2 year old. I am wanting supervised visitation.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Sole physical means you are in charge of the day to day care of the child, however for child support purposes the amount of parenting time you each have is important. Joint legal custody means you both work together to make major medical, educational, and religious decisions for the child.

Parenting time being supervised is something you can argue during the divorce.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.


Also, you might want to strongly consider not giving him joint legal custody if there is physical abuse because you'll be stuck with having to consult with him on all major decisions, such as healthcare decisions, educational decisions and religious decisions concerning your child.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer