Skip to main content

What does it mean when the child's attorney wants to meet with the non- custodial?

Jersey City, NJ |

I'm the non custodial parent(father) in a child relocation custody case. the mother has already moved to Florida w/o the courts permission, but left the child here in NY with the grandmother w/o even mentioning it to me among other things.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If child has an attorney, the issue of child's best interest(s) is of concern. Particularly in a relocation case, it is not surprising that child's attorney wants to speak with you. the attorney wants to find out if it's in the child's best interest to relocate. If you are bonded with the child, have parenting time with the child, active in the child's life, it will be difficult to maintain your relationship if s/he is living in Florida. If you are represented I suggest you speak with your attorney or have your attorney present at the meeting. Good Luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


It means he/she wants to speak with you in order to determine the child's best interests. What the mother did is not a good sign, as she failed to communicate with you already. If you are against the move, be sure to use this in your favor.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


There does not appear to be anything inappropriate about an attorney wanting to speak to you about a relocation/removal case.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed


The court appointed attorney meets with the parents to learn the facts and their positions.
If this case is so complex that the court appointed a separate lawyer for the child, you should have a lawyer. You are unable to advocate on your behalf or protect your interests without assistAnce of an experienced family law attorney.
Eileen Rhea Tulipsn,Esq,

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer