What does it mean when an inmate is on federal hold?

Stockton, CA |

can someone tell me what it means when an inmate is on a federal hold.

Well it could be an ICE hold or for a federal crime.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at www.theocduiguy.com.

what is an ice hold mean?

Robert Laurens Driessen

Robert Laurens Driessen

Immigration hold. Robert Driessen www.theocduiguy.com

oh ok so in this case i know its not a ice hold cause hes not and immigration.

It's probably an immigration hold.

If I read the comments you exchanged with Mr. Driessen correctly, this inmate is not an immigrant, and this could not be an ICE hold. The only other type of "hold" that I am aware of would be a hold placed by the federal government on a state inmate for a federal crime. If that's what it is, it means that when the inmate is released from state custody, he or she will be immediately taken into custody to face some federal charges.

Every person and every case is unique and the information I provide on this forum is not a substitute for consulting with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction to obtain appropriate legal advice specific to your situation. Any information I have provided is of a general nature. It is not legal advice and should not be construed as such. I am unable to give you legal advice on this forum. Further, I am not your lawyer and by providing information on this forum, I am not agreeing to enter an attorney-client relationship with you. Communications on this forum are not privileged or confidential and should not be treated as such. It is unwise to disclose information of a confidential or personal nature on this forum. If you are unable to afford an attorney in a criminal matter, the court should be able to appoint counsel for you at no cost to you. Also, most state bar associations can provide contact information for free or low-cost legal advice.

Since you are in Stockton, which is in the Eastern District of California, you can contact a federal attorney like myself who can check the court records to see if there are pending charges against the person with a federal hold. Also, an attorney can contact the jail and determine whether it is a ICE immigration hold or a hold out of some other federal district.

No attorney-client relationship or duty of care is created between the questioner and the attorney by virtue of this response.