Skip to main content

What does it mean when a probation officer from the intake unit says that my citation is dismissed?

Sacramento, CA |

This is a juvenile case and I was recently caught for pc 484. The loss prevention let me go home with a parent. I recieved a civics demand then a citation from sheriff in the mail for a notice to appear for a meeting with probation. But probation sent a letter saying that my citation has been dismissed? What does that mean? Was I put on informal probation? Thanks and please be detailed!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


it means that the case is dismissed. If the citation was dismissed, there is no case. Unless you get a notice to appear, you're in the clear.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


As a juvenile either your case proceeds to probation or court. Probation can review the matter and either require you to complete a program or just simply not to break any law and then dismiss it. Or in some cases, they dismiss it all together. So if your citation is dismissed, then all together was dismissed.



So I wouldn't have a court record but a record at the probation department? Can I petition to seal this later on? Also are juvenile records eventually destroyed? Thank you!


Mr. Solis is correct. If the citation was dismissed, there can be no case. If there is no case, you cannot be put on informal probation.



Thank you very much for clarifying this Mr. Hills but what type of record do you think I might have right now?

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer