Skip to main content

What does it mean post secondary education support is reserved? I need to apply for post secondary support for my daughter.

Coupeville, WA |

Does it mean less steps for court proceedings? My dtr and I live in MO and the father lives in WA state. I am trying to figure out which way to do this; myself or if I need an attorney.

+ Read More

Filed under: Child support
Attorney answers 3


If you do not file a Petition to modify the order of child support to have him help pay for the child's college, before the child's 18th birthday or graduation from High School, whichever occurs first, you waive the right and cannot go back later and ask for it.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements

Dave Hawkins

Dave Hawkins


I mean which ever occurs later -- graduation or turning 18.


I agree with the previous answer. If post-secondary support is reserved then you may petition the court to continue child support for a dependent over the age of eighteen. You must apply for the post-secondary support before the later of the dependent graduating highschool or turning the age of eighteen.

Peter J. Abbarno practices in the State of Washington; primarily in Thurston, Lewis, and Cowlitz counties. The response is limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. No response to any posted inquiry shall constitute legal advice, nor the existence of an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with the prior answers. Reserved means you can address it subsequently, because it is an issue that was left for later consideration. It does not mean less steps for court proceedings.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer