Skip to main content

What does it mean "Valid for work only with DHS authorization" in Social Security Number?

Houston, TX |

Can I apply any government benefit with this SSN such as grant, food stamp, etc?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The Social Security Administration issues this type of card to people who are lawfully admitted to the United States on a temporary basis who have DHS authorization to work.

Here is alink that may be helpful to you:

Good luck to you.

Andrew W. Norfleet, Esquire Helping disabled individuals throughout Pennsylvania. DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania and is personal in nature, not professional in nature. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality





Will repost under state law.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Mr. Norfleet is correct.

Additionally, these cards can be used as indetification for other purposes as any SS card would be. Following are the three types of cards presently available.

They include:

The first type of card shows the individual's name and Social Security number (SSN) only. This is the card most people have and reflects the fact the card holder can work in the United States without restriction. SS issues this card to:
U.S. citizens; or
Noncitizens lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence and noncitizens with DHS permission to work permanently in the United States (e.g., refugees and asylees).
The second type of card bears, in addition to the individual's name and SSN, the legend: NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT. SS issues this card to lawful noncitizens who do not have DHS permission to work, but are required by law to provide a SSN to get general assistance benefits they already qualified for.
The third type of card bears, in addition to the individual's name and SSN, the legend VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION. They issue this card to people with DHS permission to work temporarily in the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer