What does felony i,g,f,and h mean in a drug case?

Milwaukee, WI |

Someone close to me was charged with 6 felonys all different letter 4 cocaine 1-5g 1 narcotics and maintaining drug house all with intent to sell?

Almost all crimes are given classifications. The classifications determine the maximum penalties a judge can give a defendant at sentencing if the defendant is found guilty. It sounds like this person is charged with a number of relatively low-level drug offenses. Because they are felonies, the person *could* end up going to prison if convicted of any of them. Whether he/she will end up going to prison depends on a lot of variables. The most important factors are the nature of the behavior, the criminal history of the defendant and the local practice for dealing with that kind of case. The person has a pretty serious situation on his/her hands and needs the best attorney he/she can get ASAP.

Please mark answers you appreciate with positive feedback!<p><a href="http://www.msm-law.com/nicholaspasse.html">Attorney Nicholas J. Passe</a><p><l>Disclaimer: Per the avvo.com community guidelines, no attorney/client relationship is created by the asking or answering of questions on this web site, nor do the answers constitute legal advice. Always hire an attorney before making any important legal decisions. Posting details of a case on avvo.com may be subject to discovery in criminal or civil litigation, so erring on the side of nondisclosure is wise.<p><a href="http://www.msm-law.com">Moen Sheehan Meyer, Ltd.</a>

I agree with the first answer. Here are the specific classifications:

939.50  Classification of felonies.

(1) Felonies in the statutes are classified as follows:

(a) Class A felony.

(b) Class B felony.

(c) Class C felony.

(d) Class D felony.

(e) Class E felony.

(f) Class F felony.

(g) Class G felony.

(h) Class H felony.

(i) Class I felony.

(2) A felony is a Class A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, or I felony when it is so specified in the statutes.

(3) Penalties for felonies are as follows:

(a) For a Class A felony, life imprisonment.

(b) For a Class B felony, imprisonment not to exceed 60 years.

(c) For a Class C felony, a fine not to exceed $100,000 or imprisonment not to exceed 40 years, or both.

(d) For a Class D felony, a fine not to exceed $100,000 or imprisonment not to exceed 25 years, or both.

(e) For a Class E felony, a fine not to exceed $50,000 or imprisonment not to exceed 15 years, or both.

(f) For a Class F felony, a fine not to exceed $25,000 or imprisonment not to exceed 12 years and 6 months, or both.

(g) For a Class G felony, a fine not to exceed $25,000 or imprisonment not to exceed 10 years, or both.

(h) For a Class H felony, a fine not to exceed $10,000 or imprisonment not to exceed 6 years, or both.

939.50(3)(i) (i) For a Class I felony, a fine not to exceed $10,000 or imprisonment not to exceed 3 years and 6 months, or both

Good luck to you and your loved one.