Skip to main content

What does case closed mean?

Miami, FL |

I live in Miami dade county. i was arrested and given pta. this was my first offense. i never received a court notice, i went online to the clerk of courts website, and it said case closed. does this mean i dont have to appear in court?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


A case closed means that it is no longer pending. However, please call the county clerk back and ask what the case official disposition was. If the case was SOL (stricken on leave) or dismissed, that means the charges were dropped. Make sure that you understand how the case ended. If still confused seek assistance with a local criminal defense attorney in Miami, Florida.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


As I understand your question, you were detained by one of our local law enforcement agencies, or Miami-Dade County's Police Department, and rather than arrest and book you, the officer(s) wrote you a citation and provided you with what is known as a "Promise to Appear". First, a brief word of good, general advice. I practice in South Florida, primarily Miami-Dade and Broward Counties, and a pretty fair bit in Palm Beach County, as well. Irrespective of where you were detained, anywhere in the really doesn't matter, if you are given the benefit of the doubt and given a "PTA", go to Court. If sounds likely that the State's Attorney's Office decided not to file charges at the time of your arraignment setting, but that is not a certainty. Had you gone, you would know, with certainty, what occurred. You need to find an attorney to verify how the case was disposed. At the very least, call the Clerk of the Courts. Generally, that annotation means the case was dropped by the State of Florida, but some Clerks use that shorthand as a catch-all which could include a Bench Warrant, or Alias Capias. You do not want to find out the hard way. My name is David B. Dohner, Esq., and my number is (305) 972-5720. Along with myself, there are many well-qualified attorneys who are on AVVO. Get in touch with one of us and get this straightened out with certainty. You do not want to be out on a Friday night; get stopped for a bad tail light and find out are going to jail, because there is a two year old Bench Warrant in the system. And next time, if there is one, please go to Court. Good luck.

Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here.


Call the clerk and ask.

Sent from my iPad | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.