Skip to main content

What does an executor of an estate need to change the locks on a property?

Cleveland, OH |

Does an executor of an estate need the official letter from the court designating them as such, before changing the locks on a property to secure it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you're the executor of the owner's estate, you shouldn't have any trouble doing so unofficially but just to be safe, it's better to get the letters of authority from the probate court first. If it's a security issue, how about contacting the local police and asking them if it's OK?

I hope that this information is helpful to you. If so, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer." The information provided here is general in nature and is not to be considered legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is intended nor created. As an Ohio attorney not licensed in any other jurisdiction, any information provided here is solely based on Ohio law and general legal principles. The information provided here should not be put into practice without specifically consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local attorney.


I agree with Mr Reynolds. It is probably better to get the letter of authority by opening the estate in probate court, but if you are the named executor in the will and it is a matter of securing estate property from those who currently have access you are probably ok to do it now.

Any response given to a question is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship between this lawyer or this firm and anyone else. Any response is to be considered as a general response to a hypothetical set of facts and is not intended to be, and should not be relied upon as, legal advice.


Get letters of office then a courtesy call to the police documented in writing is what I have always suggested.

Then go ahead and change.

Act fast if the premises is unsecured. Things go downhill fast.