Skip to main content

What does a notarized paper need to say to stand up in court?

Grand Rapids, MI |

i just broke up with my boyfriend of almost 4 years. he sometimes says he'll fight me in court for my daughter and other times he says he'll give me full custody.if he were to really give up rights what do i need the notarized paper to say so it will stand up in court in the future if it needed to?its important to me to have it be as legite as possible because i want to move out of state as i have no family here what so ever and the only reason i even moved out here was because of him.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Getting a paper notarized is the least of your issues.

You need to retain a domestic relations attorney to formalize the custody, visitation, child support and other issues in final, enforceable fashion. The final documents must be fully in accord with your state's statute or the court will not even consider it.

Notarization only confirms that the person who signed the document is who they say they are, and that they signed the document for the purposes stated therein. Notarization does not magically transform an invalid piece of paper into an enforceable legal document.

I truly wish you the best.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.


As the answer above indicates, you cannot have your boyfriend relinquish his parental rights simply by signing a notorize document. You must go through the courts to terminate a parents rights. Furthermore, the courts in Michigan will only terminate a parent's rights if it is in the child's best interests, even if the parent wants to voluntarily terminate thier rights. For example, the courts will not allow voluntary termination just to avoid child support. You should hire a family lawyer to help you establish custody.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided as general information, which may not be appropriate for the specific facts of your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship has been established based on this limited communication. You are advised to consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction before taking any action or inaction that may affect your legal rights.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer