What does a court order for release mean?

Syracuse, NY |

Does it mean that the person is free of charges or would that be stated?

I know the person has been released due to an order of the court. Does this generally only happen when the charges are misdemenors or can it happen with felonys? Can it be for rehab or ankle monitoring?

Best Answer

Court ordered release means the person is freed from jail. The disposition of the charges may not be completed yet meaning the case may not be over yet.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Release refers to custody not charges

This is a release from jail - it is sometimes called a cut slip. It does not end the case.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

It just means that the person is released from custody. It does not mean the case is over.