Skip to main content

What does a charge of a PC273.5A mean? They originally had me charged with a PC273.5C, what is the difference?

Chico, CA |

My boyfriend and I who i live with had an argument one day and a lady called the police on him, because she thought he was hitting me. My boyfriend and i both told our stories,and said that it was a fight that got out of hand. I had no bruising or swelling, but he had some bite marks on the back of his shoulder, nothing that broke the skin or anything.So I ended up getting arrested with a felony charge of PC 273.5A. My boyfriend and my mom both bailed me out.

What should i do to prepare for my case? What are my possible sentencing?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Penal Code 273.5(a) is corporal injury to a current or former spouse, someone you have dated, or the other parent of your child.

Penal Code 273.5(c) is not a separate charge. It is the part of the section that defines the sort of injuries qualify for a conviction.

This is a very serious charge. It can be a misdemeanor that can land you in jail for up to a year, or a felony that carries up to four years in state prison.

If convicted, you would also have to take a 52 week domestic violence class, and would never be able to own or possess a firearm. If you and your boyfriend had a child, it would also make it far more difficult to get custody if you ever broke up. It could also lead to deportation and permanent exclusion from the United States if you are not a citizen.

Butte County has a diversion program where a person can take the 52 week domestic violence class and get the charges dropped. I don't know whether you would be eligible for this class.

You need a lawyer, who is the person who should be preparing for the case, not you. This is not a do it yourself project.

From here on out, I would encourage you not to talk to anyone about the case but an attorney. If you can't afford a lawyer, you can ask the judge to appoint a public defender when you make your first court appearance.

My office is in Chico and I offer a free consultation.


The previous answer is detailed and correct. The ultimate xharge you face in court is up to the D.A., and they decide if its a felony or misdemeanor. This sounds like misdemeanor conduct, and with the mutual combat nature of it, a dismissal should be achieved with competent counsel. Hire someone that knows what they are doing!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer