Skip to main content

What does a "nolle prosequi" note in my criminal record tell others?? what does it mean exactly? will mit state the charge?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

I was arrested for shoplifting. I was charged with petit theft. I went to court so then the judge sent me to a so- called "diversion program". I paid a lot of fines and completed community service hours+ a course. I succesfully completed the program.
Now the probation officer has sent me a letter saying that "he will recommend NOLLE PROSEQUI" ....i guess it is what they offered me.
But what exactly this means? will my record say that I shoplifted?

my question is "will the charge be stated on my record" if I get a nolle prosequi?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

A Nolle Prosequi is simply the prosecution dropping the charges. Your record will continue to show an arrest for petit theft until you have your record expunged. I'm assuming you are eligible for expungement because you were offered diversion and the charges have been dropped.

However, regardless of whether you seek expungement of your record, you do not have a conviction on your record. This distinction is important for job applications as some potential employers only care about convictions and not arrests. If you get your record expunged you can also deny that you were even arrested.

You should seek the advice of an attorney to see whether you qualify for expungement and then seek it if you are eligible.

Good luck.


"Nolle prosequi" is a Latin phrase that literally means "no prosecution." In many Florida counties, diversion programs are available, and the case is dropped with a nolle prosequi after successful completion of the program.

Your record generally will indicate the charge and that a nolle prosequi was entered. If you have no other criminal history, you can apply to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) to have your record sealed or expunged, effectively removing it from your record. You might want to consult a lawyer to help you make this decision.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer