Skip to main content

What does "to exhibit the rental unit to prospective mortgagees" mean?

San Diego, CA |
Attorney answers 3


A mortgagee is someone who loans money to a mortgagor. The mortgagor takes a security interest in real property that secures the loan. The security instrument used to be a "mortgage" but nowadays, the deed of trust is the security instrument of choice in California. Lenders inspect real property using their agents, and appraisers.

DISCLAIMER The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to constitute legal advice. Transmission or receipt of any information from this, or any, website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and you should not act or rely upon any information appearing on this website without seeking the advice of an attorney. The law is constantly changing, the materials appearing on this website are not guaranteed to be up-to-date. The application of law is dependent on the facts of each case, and no two cases are ever similar. It is important that users of this site realize that it is risky to assume that their case is identical to someone else's, without consulting with an attorney.

Anthony Allen Roach

Anthony Allen Roach


That second sentence has a typo. The mortgagor is the borrower, who "gives" a mortgage to the mortgagee.


This means your landlord is either trying to refinance his loan or selling the property and the bank which is lending or refinancing is requiring an inspection of the units for the purpose of the loan.

In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by this answer no attorney client relationship is intended mor entered into and unless there is a signed retainer agreement in place, neither me nor anyone in our office has intended to solicit clients nor reprints them. The answers are general in nature and without weighing specifics of particular query. No answer should be relied on in whole or in part, directly or otherwise to act or not to act in pursue of any of your potential claims in law or equity. You should consult with and obtain advise or representation of an attorney to protect your rights regarding your case or matter.


They want you to make the residence available for inspection.

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer