What does "remand rearrest" mean if the defendant has already been sentenced?

Orangevale, CA |

My son-in-law was recently sentenced on PC 273.5(A) Felony charge and now his status has been changed to "remand rearrest", ineligible for bail until the projected release date. What can happen to change things this way?

Best Answer

The only reason I can think of for the no bail and rearrest is if he has a new case. He would not be able to bail out once sentenced anyway so that doesn't apply to this case. Contact his attorney.

Thanks for your reply.

I am guessing based on the few facts you have given us but it sounds like your son was out of custody until sentencing at which time he was remanded (rearrested). I do not understand why there would be a no bail notation as while he is serving his time he is not eligible for bail anyway. Does he have a second case? That would explain the rearrest no bail notation.

He was never out of custody. He was arrested in mid-June and has been in custody ever since. He was sentenced on Oct 4th to 1 year, 5 years probation, a 7-year suspended sentence, and a release date of Feb 17th. That's why I don't understand the "rearrest" part.

It may also be based on a probation violation. Has he picked up a new case? Many jurisdictions automatically put "no bail" status on probation violations. You should check with an attorney to see what is going on.

Thank you for your reply. As I said above, he has never been out of custody, so no probation violation.