What does "client expressly waives any potential or perceived conflict of interest when he still owes fees to attorney" mean?

Atlanta, GA |

My chapter 7 case has been discharged although I still have a balance due to the lawyer. What does this section of my agreement mean? "The attorney shall have the right to withdraw from representation subject to court approval. Any sums due to attorney are subject to discharge, just like other pre-petition debts to creditors are subject to discharge. Client expressly waives any potential or perceived conflict of interest in having attorney represent client while client still owes fees to attorney."Received discharge notice in the mail so I assume he didn't withdraw. Haven't hear from him in 4 months, no invoice received and I intend to pay my fee but what exactly did I expressly waive? I'm confused?

The potential "conflict of interest" is that he is your lawyer and he is also a creditor. The document purports to waive that conflict. You won't likely get an invoice because the debt is legally discharged, but you can pay the bill and move on.

Thank you for replying but how is the debt legally discharged if I didn't list it as one of my debts?

Good chapter 7 attorneys do not usually allow a client to file without paying all or most of their fee upfront precisely because the debt to them is dischargeable. The conflict that he sought to waive is that your lawyer was both your creditor and your lawyer. He probably will not invoice you because of the discharge.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.