What does "case passed generally" mean?

Maryville, IL |

Case Review Held
Cause called. Plaintiffs appear by Counsel. Defendants appear not, nor by Counsel. Case passed generally.

Filed under: Filing a lawsuit

It likely means that no further court date has been set at that time. The parties or the court may motion the matter up later. Not a dismissal.

Please note that this answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or an offer to form an attorney-client relationship. It is always advisable to seek the help of an attorney licensed in your state before proceeding on any legal matter. Please feel free to contact me with the information listed below. Good luck! Napleton Law, Ltd. 312.255.0115 jerry@napletonlaw.com www.napletonlaw.com

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question the answer was very helpful.

The case was called and nothing significant happened. No further court date was set at this time and no order entered.

Case was passed indefinitely. No new hearing set

Passing a case is equivalent to continuing the case without taking any action. It may have been that the Judge questioned whether the Defendant was given proper notice to appear or that the case was passed for a few minutes to give the Defendant additional time to appear and perhaps the Plaintiff's counsel left and failed to return to seek an order or ruling.

The information supplied in this answer is not legal advice and should not and cannot be construed as a legal recommendation. Further consultation would be necessary and the answer given above might change based upon follow up questions and the factual details and issues surrounding the question.

The case has been continued, most likely. It is advisable to call the Circuit Clerk's Office to obtain the next court date and to visit the Clerk's office to review the court file.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer this question for me and I thank you for your answer.

If you are the Plaintiff in this matter, you should call the attorney that appeared. If you are the Defendant, if you do not appear you could risk ultimately being defaulted by the court and a judgment being entered against you. If you are simply curious about what occurred on this particular case, you should call the Circuit Court Clerk and try and get more information or a copy of the physical paper order that was entered. Do not attempt to contact the judge as that is improper.

This answer is a general response to a question posted on AVVO.com. Nothing stated here by Attorney Michael S. Keating constitutes an attorney-client relationship. This answer is also not a recommendation for legal action.