Skip to main content

What documents should be submitted with ITIN application for foreign nationals?

Issaquah, WA |

I am a foreign national and don't reside in US. I have to file my personal tax return (for the income generated from LLC of which I am member). I researched on IRS website and found following:
Use the latest revision of Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to apply. Attach a valid federal income tax return, unless you qualify for an exception, and include your original proof of identity or copies certified by issuing agency and foreign status documents.

a) Does it mean that I'll have to submit my original passport? If so, can I just mail my original passport to an agent from India?
b) Or can I send my passport copy notarized by US embassy in India? If so, do I need to send passport copy of all pages?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Notarization of a passport is unacceptable. A copy of your passport that has been certified by the Indian government is acceptable. You need to read the instructions to form W-7. It lists 13 acceptable forms of documentation including visa issued by the U.S. State Department; foreign voter's registration card; and a civil birth certificate.


You can also contact an IRS authorized Acceptance Agent to apply for an ITIN. Here's a link to the agents in Washington