Skip to main content

What do you say in a letter to a judge to dismiss a warrant from 10 years ago?

San Jose, CA |

I completed all required courses for my DUI and just found out they don't have record that I did anything. I was told to submit a letter to the judge. I don't know if I still have the records of the DUI school since it was so long ago. I completed the courses in another state as I did not live in the state of the DUI.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


That's often the problem in that most states do not accept completion of a program in a foreign state; in particular the DMV in CA won't accept it for your obligation with them. You may not have a record of completion but see if you can find the original provider and check with their records. Other than that, in your letter give the judge some personal insights you gained from the class and perhaps a letter from someone else, not related to you, who knows you participated and completed the program.


I agree with the other attorney's answer. In addition, I suggest contacting the alcohol school that you did go to and try to get some proof of your attendance and completion. Also, hiring an attorney to help with this would almost certainly make things much easier. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen


Judges don't read letters from defendants even after judgment so don't waste your time. If you can't come up with proof then you'll have to do it over again.


You were given the wrong advice. You should never write a letter to a judge. You should retain a lawyer to provide documentation to DMV so that you can get your privileges re-instated or whatever it is that you are trying to accomplish. Please choose best answer if this helped you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer