Skip to main content

What do you need to do if I missed an I-130 interview for adjustment of status because of a lawyer mistake?

Charlotte, NC |

I missed my adjustment of status I-130 interview and they sent me deportation letter and I talked to my lawyer they said we will get another interview. Now its been exactly a year and two months since I missed my interview and I have not received anything. I asked others they said I just have to pay again and wait another 6 months. Any thoughts, maybe the lawyer has not sent anything because I have not re payed the fee for the form because the lawyer has not asked me to.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


The best place to start is contacting your lawyer and asking about the status of your case. You can also check the status of your pending case by going to and entering your receipt number under the Case Status box on the left or calling 1-800-375-5283. Your lawyer may have already filed a Motion to Reopen or Reconsider your case. If not, you may be able to refile the I-130/I-485 and start again, but it may depend on the outcome and basis of denial of your first case. You do not provide enough facts. You should keep in contact with your lawyer and communicate frequently with him/her. Good luck.


You should consult your lawyer about your case.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Oh those lawyers! They are always at fault! You, of course, had no idea the interview had been scheduled for a specific day and time! Make an inforpass appointment go there and figure out what is going on. If you are not happy with your lawyer, you can always seek a different one, that who would serve you to your liking.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


There is obviously something going on with your case because in most cases a "deportation letter" is not sent for a simple no show. Moreover, filing a motion to reopen or refiling may have resolved the issue. If you are not satisfied with your lawyer, obtain a second opinion from another experienced immigration attorney.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.


This is very serious. You need to get in to see another immigration lawyer, as soon as possible. Cynthia Aziz is very good and so is Tin Thanh Nguyen with Central Law Group. Both are in Charlotte. Good luck to you.

This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to form a client/lawyer relationship. You can contact me for a limited telephone consultation or an email consultation at my website,, which is listed below. In addition to operating my own firm, I also work for North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc., a non-profit law firm which exists to protect the rights of prisoners in the custody of the state of North Carolina. If a loved one is in prison in North Carolina, advise the inmate that they may write to North Carolina Prisoner Legal Services, Inc. NCPLS will review their case at no cost and will litigate at no cost to the inmate if the case meets NCPLS' standards. NCPLS can also provide some assistance to inmates seeking to represent themselves. I am also available for cases that do not deal with inmates incarcerated in North Carolina's jails and prisons.