Skip to main content

What do you need to do to get your license back after a D.U.I

Chicago, IL |
Attorney answers 5


You need to have a hearing with the Secretary of State. You will have to show that you have completed the treaty recommended by your evaluation and have made changes so that you are not a risk to repeat the offense. It is highly advisable to have an attorney to assist you in this process.


If he is not eligible for reinstatement he can request a permit if he can show the Secretary of State that he has a hardship and needs to drive.


Really depends on how many DUI he has had. If he has three previous convictions for DUI he will not be able to get his license back at all. No prior convictions one year, one prior conviction 5 years, two prior convictions (within 20 years) ten years.


Contact an informal hearing officer for a free consultation. Then hire a lawyer to take you to a hearing.


That will all depend of a personal prior driving record and other significantly relevant factors of compliance and rehabilitation as evidenced by a well-prepared evidentiary submission. Have your friend retain a counsel.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer