Skip to main content

What do you do when you are being sued by your credit card

Cape Girardeau, MO |

I am a young individual that does not want to file bankruptcy. I do have 2 outstanding credit cards where one is taking legal action for over $800 for a card that had a limit of $300. My debt is not that much for the cards that I have but I am unable to pay because of medical conditions that keep showing up and the doctors can't seem to figure it out. What should I do

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Always answer the summons within the time required. Otherwise they will get a default judgment against you and will also pile on attorney fees and costs. If you have any doubt how to do this, three options:

(1) Go to the court clerk's office and ask for help.

(2) Retain an attorney.

(3) If you can not afford an attorney, call the state or county bar association and ask for a low fee or no fee referral.

I truly wish you the best.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.