What do you do when an attorney messes up... bad?

San Jose, CA |

My attorney failed to file for retroactivity on my case, when she clearly told me she did. There is even proof in a court document of her intent to file. I am now told that I will not get credit for years of a custody change. Because of this I have a mounting arrears and IRS problem. And now she's letting another custody issue (in my favor) slide. I haven't received a bill in years, even though I have asked several times. Her billing person has no idea what my balance is. Now she's asking for more money to continue my case. I cannot afford another attorney and need restitution and/or resolution on this case. Where can I turn? Help!

One place to start is the California Bar. Below is a link to their page relating to complaints against attorneys. They will initiate an investigation and your lawyer will have to explain herself.