Skip to main content

What do you do when a police report is incorrect?

Sharon, MA |

Me and my bf got into a fight and he is facing serious charges, I was the only witness and talked to the police. When they read the report in court the following day it was incorrect. Things were left out, added...are my "so-called" statements etched in stone already or can I correct it by talking to the DA? Will they think I'm changing my story and I could face falsifying a police report?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You can't change a police report. It's not yours to change. If you disagree with what's in the report, you'd have to testify to your version of the events at the trial. Then it's up to the jury to determine whether they believe you now. If you don't testify, however, then it's possible that your statements relating to the incident don't come into evidence at all. That can't be answered on here- it would require a thorough analysis of the report. Talk to your bf's lawyer.


You should consult a criminal defense attorney because filing a false police report is a crime and if you admit that you lied you may be subject to criminal penalties yourself. If there are statements on the police report that you did not actually say then you should seek to correct that information but do so with the assistance of counsel. You may also want to check the responses to an earlier question in which I believe the same or similar question was asked. You may also want to speak with a victim's advocate, particularly since you have been a victim of domestic violence. There are people and organizations that can help you if you are in fear of further abuse for following through with the charges. Best of luck.

Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. (It lets us know how we are doing.) Attorney Kremer is licensed to practice in Massachusetts. Please visit her Avvo profile for contact information. In accordance with Avvo guidelines, the following disclaimer applies to all responses given in this forum: The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.


I agree that you should speak with a criminal defense attorney, and that you should do so before speaking to the Assistant District Attorney or anyone in their office (including a Victim Witness Advocate). You may also want to speak with your bf's lawyer, but remember that he or she does not and can not represent you. Good luck.


Speak to a lawyer.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.