Skip to main content

What do my husband and I need to do/know in order to adopt my niece's baby in Georgia and bring it to Virginia where we live?

Fort Lee, VA |

My husband and I are in the military in Virginia and my niece, a legal adult, wants us to adopt her baby. The father is unknown and she lives in Georgia. The child is due in less than 3 weeks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You need to speak with an adoption attorney ASAP. (You can start with JAG, but often those attorneys do not have enough experience with adoption, so you will probably need to find a non-military practitioner. Check the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys website for recommendations.) Among other things, even if the father is "unknown," his rights still need to be dealt with under the applicable state law. You also need a homestudy even though the birthmother is your niece. This is do-able, but you need to get an attorney on board right away. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer