Skip to main content

What do I write under my wife's immigration status question (part 8, E, 3)on my citizenship application (form N-400)?

Lodi, CA |

I'm applying for citizenship and I'm almost done filling out the form. The only part I'm not sure how to answer is where it asks for my wife's immigration status. She doesn't have a resident card or "Green Card", and the choices are "Lawful Permanent Resident" or "Other". I want to answer honestly but I also don't want to get her deported or in trouble. If I can't answer honestly I will simply not apply for citizenship.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Even if you put "no status"', this will have no effect on your wife, She will not be deported.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



First of all I want to thank everyone that answered, I wasn't expecting such a fast response. So do I fill in the blank with the words "No Status" or do I simply leave the space blank? Again, thank you everyone!

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Write "No Status"


Say "undocumented" You are not going to get her deported. You have to provide correct information.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


You should be honest and put "no status". It should not cause her any problems. Good Luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer