Skip to main content

What do I need to open a strip club?

Stockton, CA |

Specifically, what kind of special permits or regular licenses and permits will I need in order to open up a strip club?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

From a very brief review, it looks like you need an Operator Permit, in addition to a normal business license with the City of Stockton. You are also prohibited from selling alcohol. This is, of course, assuming you are going to open it in your city of reference. If so, a good place to start would be the City of Stockton Municipal Code. Title 5, Chapter 5.60 has an extensive overview of the requirements.

In other municipalities, there may be other requirements. And you might be permitted to sell alcohol. That would involve an extensive application process with the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.

Finally, there is your actual business entity. By its very nature, a strip club involves a lot of risk. You will also be dealing with an assortment of risky customers, employees, and vendors. So, you will want to obtain some liability protection. This can be acquired by forming a corporation or limited liability company. Then, you will also need a seller's permit, Employer Identification Number, and apply for S Chapter status with the IRS.

So, in short, there is quite a bit. And this is just to get you up and running. Thereafter you will have independent contractor agreements or job descriptions for your talent, employee and customer code of conduct, operations manual, etc.



thank you this is exactly what I was looking for just an idea of the things i will need to have in order to get started. (obviously if I am investing the amount of money required to startup such a business i know I will need to consult a lawyer)

Justin Dain Hein

Justin Dain Hein


You might want to contact an attorney who deals with licenses and business formation. They will usually give you a free initial consultation. During the consult, you can map out your plan.


You won't get all the answers on this online forum. You should meet with a local business attorney.

Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual, and no attorney-client relationship is formed with you. Our aim is to provide general principles that may be useful to the Avvo community as a whole. You should seek individual legal advice pertaining to your specific factual situation, and the laws applicable to your jurisdiction. Moore & Moore Attorneys at Law --


At the very least, you will need a business license. As to what other licenses or permits you need, it will depend on the city or county you are looking at.