Skip to main content

What do I need to get a drivers license in another state when mine was suspended in CO

Colorado Springs, CO |

My license was suspended for 2 DWAIs in Colorado. If I still lived in Colorado I would be eligible for reinstatement in March as long as I give them my DUI Level II Education and Therapy DRS paperwork, $95 reinstatement fee, SR-22 non-owner policy and a couple of other forms. I would also be requiried to drive with an interlock device for 2 years. I now live in Arkansas and I know when I go to the DMV here they will tell me I have not met the CO requirements. What are the requirements in CO when I am in another state now, what would they require me to send them since I am not applying for reinstatement in CO? I have tried calling but got 3 different answers from them. I am not trying to avoid the requirements, just want to know what all they actually need since I am no longer living there.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

It would be in your best interest to get reinstated in Colorado. Even if you never plan of driving here. Getting reinstated in Colorado is not the same as getting a Colorado Driver's license. Colorado will have a hold on your driving privilages in most other states until you are reinstated. You may be able to provide an affidavit stating that you do not own a car in Colorado which would negate the need for SR-22. Likewise, you may be able to do an out of state affidavit to avoid an interlock device.

Marijuana is against federal law. Federal law supersedes state law. A person could be charged and convicted for marijuana related crimes such as possession, cultivation, distribution, manufacturing, transportation, and conspiracy.


If you new state recognizes your past states requirements for reinstatement of your license they you already know what you have to do in order to be eligible for a license. So if Arkansas in connected with CO, you will have to jump through all the hoops that CO says in order to get a license.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer