What do i need to do to get driver license back after 2 DUI from 2001?

Gaylord, MI |

My first one was dropped to impared, n second to first. I do know i have to pay $1000 to the state plus renstatement fees to but is there anything else they will want me to do?

You must have a hearing at the Driver Assessment and Appeal Division of the Secretary of State, which may, in your area, be via a video feed with you in a local branch office and the Hearing Officer in an office elsewhere. You must establish by clear and convincing evidence that any alcohol or substance problems you may have had are under control. You must present letters of support from family and friends addressing your situation with regard to alcohol usage, and you must have a professional evaluation by a certified alcohol/substance abuse evaluator. Be very careful about this process, because if you fail, you will have to wait a year for another chance. Check with the Secretary of State to make sure you are currently eligible for a hearing. I strongly encourage you to get an attorney who often handles these hearings, and knows what the Hearing Officers expect. Frank B. Ford 313-565-9289

The information contained in this answer is intended to convey general information. Nothing contained in this answer is intended as specific legal advice. Although the content is believed to be accurate as to Michigan law, no guarantee is made that it is accurate and up-to-date. This is not an offer to represent you, nor is it intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Cy M. Abdo

Cy M. Abdo

Like Frank says, be careful with this process. The Hearing is full of traps which you cannot know. That is why an experienced DLAD attorney can help you smooth out the bumps to meet the burden of proof.

Attorney Ford has provided a great answer. Follow his advice, obtain counsel, and get things taken care of. Best of luck.

Get on a payment plan with the Michigan Secretary of State Treasury. They are very liberal and as long as you are paying you will be able to get a license.

You will need to attend a driver assessment and appeal division hearing. You will have the burden to show by clear and convincing evidence that you have not drank alcohol for at least a year and will not drink alcohol in the future.

I have handled countless hearings. Any reinstatement my office has handled from beginning to end we won. Call 734-453-7806 for a free consultation. Click the link below for more information on the DAAD.