Skip to main content

What do I need to do? Do I have a valid case against someone for making these mistakes?

Cayucos, CA |

My grandmother passed away a few weeks ago. She hired a lawyer back in Sept 2010 to change her will. She left everything to us 8 grandchildren. I was just informed that the lawyer didn't have her sign a power of appointment. Now the will is reverting back to the previous one. Who is responsible for this mistake? What should we do next?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


It's possible that you could have a claim against the attorney for legal malpractice, but it would depend upon all of the facts. If you consult further with an attorney (which I urge you to do), additional information will be helpful. What are the differences between the will she did not sign and the previous one? Do you have copies? What is the amount that will pass through your grandmother's estate? Who has direct knowledge of the facts? Feel free to contact me to discuss further (although our offices are in San Diego and Los Angeles, we do take cases in SLO County). Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: Neither the information in nor this communication itself are intended to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or my law firm. The information in this communication is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon the information in this communication. You understand that this communication is not confidential and is not subject to the attorney-client privilege.