Skip to main content

What do I need to bring to court. I have a court date in civil court for an order to show cause and vacate default judgment.

Elmhurst, NY |

I recently discovered a public record in my credit report. I was unaware of any debt. I had not recieved any calls or letters saying I owed any money. I take pride in my credit. I went to civil court and filled out the order to show cause. I have a court date in 2 weeks. I would like to know what I should bring to court to help my case. I don't even know the what type of debt this is.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


if the papers were properly served on the other side and they do not object or show you should win and get the judgment vacated. If you do not know what debt this is for and dispute any debt then there is not much you can bring with you.

Bring any documentation regarding this debt, if any. Get a copy of your credit report an and point out that this debt is not listed anywhere on the credit report itself.

Good Luck!

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author only and the fact that he has worked as an Assistant District Attorney; State Supreme Court Clerk; Special Assistant United States Attorney (Hawaii); Assistant Cornell University Counsel or Judge Advocate, United States Marine Corps should not be relied upon to assume that these statements reflect the policy of these organizations.