Skip to main content

What do i need or where do i need to go for my husband that is a U.S citizen to help me fix my immigration status?

Nacogdoches, TX |

Hi i just married a Us Citizen and he is wanting to help me with my immigtation status because im not leagl. I enter the US when i was 7ys. old with a passport& a visa. after been here 5yrs both my visa n passport expire. i have not left the U.S.ever since then. i an now 23. i graduated from school in" 07. we have been married since aug.25th 2012. Know we dont know what i will need or where to go, or how much it will cost??? what can we do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Since you entered with inspection, you should be able to adjust your status to permanent resident in the US. You will need to file an adjustment of status package and should have your case reviewed by an attorney before you file.

Myron R. Morales
Morales PLLC


Your husband needs to petition you and you need to file for adjustment of status with proof that you entered the US with a valid visa.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You should begin the process by learning more about what is called "adjustment of status." If you qualify for adjustment of status, you will be able to get your green card while you are here in the United States.

You can learn more about adjustment of status by reading the article that is linked below.

(703) 424-2979. Virginia Immigration Lawyer - Helping Future Americans Become Citizens


Before you file the I-130 and I-485, you should consult with an immigration attorney to see if any other grounds of inadmissibility apply to your case. For example, do you have any criminal issues? Have you ever lied about your status? Does your husband have any criminal issues?

The fact that you appear to have entered with an inspection and admission, and haven't left since that entry, and are seeking adjustment based on marriage to a U.S. citizen, are all very favorable factors. However, you want to meet with an immigration attorney to ensure that everything else is in order.

You can get more information about the one-step process by visiting the USCIS website.

Good luck!


Since you entered legally, you can apply for a green card assuming there are no grounds of inadmissibility.

You may click the link below to find some useful free attorney-prepared self-assessment tools relating to marriage based I-130 petitions and adjustment of status to obtain a green card.

Good luck!

Hasan Abdullah, Founder of ImmigrationEase: (providing user-friendly do-it-yourself case prep with discounted attorney case review services), and Managing Attorney at the Shah Peerally Law Group: (for full legal representation), call 510-742-5887. Note: Hasan Abdullah is an attorney licensed in the State of Illinois. The answer provided is informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client.