Skip to main content

What do I legally need to do to remove my 19 year old daughter from my house?

Melbourne, FL |

She has graduated from high school, but she now does nothing asked of her and does everything she's told not to do and is not trustworthy by herself in my home.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Our firm has dealt with this situation many times. More often than not, I strongly worded demand letter from an attorney does the trick.

If you daughter is paying any money toward electric, food, shelter, then she may be considered a tenant, thus you'd have to evict her.

If she does none of the above, then you would have to sue her for an unlawful detainment (similar to eviction), and with same result.

As an aside, calling the police does nothing, unless she is being abusive.

Note: The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.


You have to file a lawsuit to remove a person.

If the daughter pays any kind of rent, she is a tenant and you must give notice and then file an eviction lawsuit.

If the daughter does not pay rent, she is not a tenant and you must file either an unlawful detainer or an ejectment lawsuit.

I suggest you make an appointment with a lawyer immediately. Good luck.