What do i do when my attorney is absent the day of sentencing

Edinburg, TX |

i have a misdemeanor case i declared myself no content and it motion to revoke my felony probation its my 1st felony charge its a 2 or 3rd degree felony now my attorney filed a motion for a new ttrial or hearing to try and dismiss my misdemeanor charge which is a false police report class b misdemeanor now i have court for sentencing on my felony court but i was advised my attorney will be out of town and my misdemeanor is still pending trial/hearing what will happen in my felony court thats up for sentencing will i go to jail? i did get locked up for d motion to revoke and i was placed on house arrest by the judge in the felony court .....

You need to contact your lawyers office to see if he has arranged for someone to stand in for him or if the case will be reset for sentencing. Hopefully there is someone in his office to advise/assist you.

thanks but di i have a possibility to be reinstated on probation prosecutor is offering 4 yrs

just for revoking my probation with a class b misdemeanor

JaPaula C Kemp

JaPaula C Kemp

If you retained a lawyer and he is not present, you should not be going to jail. If you paid this lawyer his office needs to advise you of the status of your case and get a reset if he will not be there. I could not tell you the likelihood of going to jail on the misdemeanor because I do not know the status of the motion for new trial or if you received an appeal bond. Call your lawyer asap.

If you hired an attorney, it is his responsibility to reset the case if he cannot be present on the current court date. You absolutely should not go to court alone. His office needs to give you a better explanation than this.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

yes i hired him

question the prosecutor from the felony court assigned himself to b d prosecutor for my misdemeanor court its 2 different court rooms is this possible

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

yes