Skip to main content

What Do I do My car was stolen and they got on a high speed chase and ran and the cops think it was me?

Salinas, CA |

Today I woke up from my nap to find my car was stolen. The car is in a friends name so he makes the police report. The cops show up at his house then my moms house looking for me because whoever stole my car went on a high speed chase and the detective told my mom he identified me as the fleer and that they found a bunch of drugs in the car. Now I am scared because my probation is violated because I moved from my moms house and don't live there anymore but i haven't updated my adress and they think I ran from them and I had all these drugs in the car. I don't know what to do because I just opened up a security company and if I even go talk to the cops ill get arrested and I'm on 4 years joint suspension so even with the violation I'm doing 4 yeaes

The next day I spoke to my probation officer and told her the situation and she asked if I reported the car stolen and I told her that I had the owner of the car report it and she just said if anything changes over the weekend to give her a call. Also I purchased legal shield and spoke to an attorney friday but they can't contact the police for me until monday or tuesday when my membership finalizes. Can the police really charge me with this even though it wasn't me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9

Best Answer

Police routinely lie and say that they identified the driver as a specific person as a tool to identifying the unsub. You would want to retain a local criminal lawyer who can contact the police.



I appreciate everybody's help I obtained legal shield and spoke with an attorney today who also suggested contacting probation which I did, I contacted my PO and she told asked if I has reported the car stolen and I explained that the car want in my name but the guy I'm making the payments to did report it because I had called him about it thinking he had the car repod so my probation officer said just call her back If anything happens over the weekend.


You need to seek a local criminal defense attorney immediately. Do not talk to the police or give any written or oral statements. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


Contact a criminal attorney doesn't mean you're guilty for contacting're just seeking advice on how to proceed, etc.


You can and should resubmit this question in the criminal law category. I will try reclassifying it, but it may not work.


You would have to be touched in the head not to now to retain an attorney. Your freedom abd likely your career dependa upon your success.

The information provided herein does not create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is to suggerst some general principles and should not be relied upon for client decisions. Only upon the hiring of counsel can such advice be custom-tailored to the client's specific situation and needs.


Retain a criminal defense attorney.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery. Any testimonials or endorsements should not be construed as a guarantee, warranty or prediction of the outcome of your case.


First, do not post any more facts regarding this on AVVO because a high speed chase may be identifiable in your area. Second, with a suspended prison term of four years hanging over your head you need to speak to an attorney tomorrow even if it means closing the office. In these early stages an attorney can be critical and you are still out of custody with access to funds to hire one, if that is the case. You raise some important issues for your defense and it sounds like you have a lot on the line. Good luck.


These issues are typically resolved in your favor if you remain silent and retain an attorney to represent you. By retaining an attorney, you are calling off the dogs. Many reputable attorneys offer a free consultation. I suggest meeting with at least one soon since contacting an attorney early your attorney has an opportunity to confer with the law enforcement early in the process which increases your odds in having the case rejected.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.


What's the name of your security firm, Friendly Felons Security? You need to hire an attorney to speak for you. Send an update of your address to your probation officer. Invoke your fifth amendment privilege and work this out with your attorney. You may not be charged with anything. They have to prove you were the one driving the car.

This response does not create a lawyer client relationship. Each case is determined on its specific facts and this reply is intended for a general audience and facts particular to your case may affect the answer. Consult with an attorney in person for specific answers to your questions.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer