Skip to main content

What do I do if my former employer refuses to give me a separation notice?

Blue Ridge, GA |

I was recently fired from my job because of failure to show Up for my shift. I attempted to get a message to my employer on several occasions to inform him of my absence but the person taking the messages failed to inform the employer that I had tried to contact him. My wife and I are trying to apply for food stamps and the department of human resources is requesting a separation notice but my employer refuses to give me one. What should I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


File an unemployment compnsation claim and your employer will have to file a separation notice. Also request one in writing from the HR department at your former place of work.


There is no good answer to this question. I agree with the former response that you should apply for unemployment insurance, in response to which most employers will (but not always) issue a separation notice. The GA Department of Labor has a rule which requires employers to issue a separation notice within 3 days of a separation, but the Rule has no penalty if an employer fails to comply with the Rule.

This post is for marketing and informational purposes only. It is not intended to nor does it create an attorney-client relationship with the reader.