Skip to main content

What do I do if im charged with a felony domestic violence

Riverside, CA |
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

You may have been arrested for a felony, but the DA will decide if you will be charged in court with a felony or a misdemeanor.

Having said that, the prior incidents aren't going to help at all. The California Evidence Code allows the prosecution to potentially use the prior incidents against you in trial.

It is absolutely time for a lawyer. Look for someone that focuses on criminal law and routinely practices in the court where your case will be heard. If you can afford to hire one before court, do so. That way you can begin your defense strategy now. If you cannot afford a lawyer (and you won't know if you can until you meet to discuss the case and fees), you can request a public defender when you go to court. Do NOT go this alone.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.


Hire the best criminal defense attorney you can afford. While your case may have implications in family court, your question pertains more to criminal law rather than family law--at least at this stage.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Good Answer" button or "Best Answer" at the bottom of this answer. By answering this question, the Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not intend to form an attorney-client relationship with the asking party. The answers posted on this website should not be construed as legal advice. The Law Offices of Cathleen E. Norton does not make any representations about your family law matter, but rather, seeks to provide general information to the public about family-law related matters. You should consult with an attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case. Thank you.


I agree with Ms. Norton. And if you cannot afford a private attorney, you should ask for a public defender at your first court date. In the meantime, do not discuss this matter with anyone, especially law enforcement. That also means do not post facts about your case here. Only discuss your case with a criminal defense attorney. Assuming you are not going to use a public defender, go meet with a few private attorneys and choose the one you like best, most offer free consultations.

Michel & Associates, PC
(562) 216-4444

All my comments here are intended for general legal purposes. None of my comments here establish an attorney-client relationship with anyone. None of my comments should be relied on in taking legal action without first consulting an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer