Skip to main content

What do I do if I have been wrongly accused of a hit and run?

Perrysburg, OH |

The car falsely accused stalled out and was parked on the side of the highway. After trying to flag down many drivers and being unsuccessful, a police officer stopped and took the driver home stating that the driver would have a full 24 hours before having to move the vehicle from the highway.
The driver went to work the next morning expecting to jump the car or get it towed but upon arrival noticed that the 24 hours wasn't given and the car had been taken to the police impound.
The impound lot stated that the car was involved in a "hit skip" and the owner of the vehicle would have to talk to the detective leading the case.
It has been several days with many attempts to talk to the detective and involved police officers with no luck and the impound won't release the vehicle.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Your facts are unclear. But try consulting with a criminal defense attorney.

In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.



The car was parked on the side of the highway and the driver was told he had 24 hours to get it off. When he got off work the next day the car was already taken to the police impound. He gathered some money got a copy of his title and proof of insurance and went down to the impound to release his car. The clerk informed him that she was unable to release it because it had been involved in a hit and run accident at the time that it was parked on the highway which is why he was not given the full 24hours. The driver believes it may have been hit and the driver who hit his car might have filed a report against him.

David A. Papa

David A. Papa




Ok So if they are claiming it is a hit and run-the owner must report it to his Insurance Company--I would also, get on the AVVO "Find a Lawyer" tool bar and select a criminal defense attorney who handles traffic citations.


Whenever anyone is involved in a situation in which criminal charges can or will be made against them, and whenever anyone's liberty is at stake, a local criminal lawyer should be retained.


Report this to your insurance company. Then retain an attorney who handles these kinds of cases.

I am licensed in Pennsylvania. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer