Skip to main content

What do I do if I am paying Child Support in 2 different states, for the same child.

Tacoma, WA |

a Child Support motion was filed in 2011 for the state of Washington, then my ex-wife visited GA, and all of a sudden, I now have 2 cases, in which the Georgia case I didn't know about, whatsoever. What do I need to do, to correct this issue? The state of Georgia took out over 3k from my taxes, in a case I have NO clue about.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You need to speak with an attorney directly, and bring any paperwork you have, because your situation is not clear. You say a motion was filed in WA, but if you are paying here, an order must have been entered at some point. The mother can "domesticate" the WA order if she moved, so that Georgia courts are enforcing the WA order, but you say she just visited, so it's not clear what's going on there either. If GA is collecting now and WA is not (or is just collecting for arrears rather than a current obligation), your case was probably just transfered, but if both states are collecting for the same time period, you should contact an attorney in GA to sort this out.

Avvo answers are attorney opinions offered for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Use of the Avvo Q&A forum does not create any attorney-client relationship.


In Washington, the state's UIFSA (Uniform Interstate Family Support Act) statute applies to situations where there are competing child support orders issued by two different states. You say that there was a child support motion filed in 2011 in WA, but it is unclear whether the court in WA actually issued an order of child support. The first step will be to figure out if there are two court orders (one from a court in Washington and one from a court in Georgia) addressing child support or only one. If there is only an order from a court in Georgia, the next step will be to figure out whether that court had the authority to issue an order directing you to pay child support. This is a fairly complex area of law and I recommend that you seek the assistance of an attorney in WA and in Georgia. All issues related to an order of support issued by the Georgia court would need to be addressed by an attorney licensed to practice law in Georgia.

Please note that this answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney- client relationship with me or with my firm, Carol Bailey & Associates, PLLC.