What do I do if an ordered amount of child support is too high in Florida?

Altamonte Springs, FL |

What can I do if the Hearing Officer ordered a child support amount based on only my 2011 W2 which included overtime but as of January 2012 till now (April 2012) there has yet to be any overtime offered and now my net take-home is going to be reduced to roughly $72.00 a week because a New York Magistrate ordered an extremely high amount based on the same 2011 W2? I am married and we have two children in our home as well who were not considered in either ruling. Isn't there anything I can do to make sure ALL of my children receive a fair amount equally?

There are time limits, usually 10 days or 30 days, to appeal such a ruling, however, you can move to modify an existing order based on a substantial change of circumstances, which you can argue this indeed is. It would be a good idea to contact an attorney who handles family law cases to further advise you on your specific situation.

The time limits you speak of would be to appeal? I am guessing the modification option you speak of is anytime?

Lisa Michelle Figueroa

Lisa Michelle Figueroa

Yes that is correct.

Has your child support order been registered or domesticated in Florida? If not, you may still be under New York jurisdiction, and Florida law and guidelines may be irrelevant. Check with a local lawyer to see if Florida law applies. If so, you can file for a child support modification if your income permanently changes by more than $50 per month or more than 15% since the last child support order. If New York law applies, you should talk to a New York lawyer.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

One case was ordered against me March 2012 in New York and the second was ordered against me April 2012 in Florida. Both states refused to even look at all of my pay stubs that I brought from Jan till now to show no overtime has been offered.

Brent Allan Rose

Brent Allan Rose

Definitely time to talk to a lawyer. Or better yet, two (one on Florida, one in New York). If your evidence was improperly ignored in the Florida case, you have 10 days from the date of the judgment to ask for a rehearing and/or 30 days to appeal. I don't know what your remedies are in New York.