Skip to main content

What do i do after i was assaulted by a tenant in ca. while trying to collect rent.

Isleton, CA |

Im a landlord and senior citizen in ca. . i was collecting rent and a tenant committed assault and battery on me. sheriffs came wrote a report and called it assault and battery, the person who assaulted me wasn't around. Im afraid he will do it again. i don't live on the premise, what can i do to protect myself, and what should i do to the man who assaulted me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You did right to phone the sheriff. Get someone to collect the future rent while you give a 30 days notice to get the tenant out.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


If you cannot get rid of the tenant, you'll need a restraining order. You can also file a lawsuit for assault and batter, among potentially other claims - assuming you've suffered any bodily or emotional injuries. It may not be worth while if the tenant has no assets to collect on. But he/she may have an insurance policy to proceed again, or you can garnish wages should you get a judgment. You should consult an attorney to get more detailed information for your case. Feel free to contact us as well.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship between Jassim & Associates or any of its attorneys. We are not your attorney unless we both sign a written contract that describes our relationship and terms, the scope of our representation, and terms of payment for representation. Any information provided to you here should not be construed as legal advice, and an in detail review of the facts of your matter would likely affect any information provided. There could be deadlines to act in any case, after which your legal rights could be lost forever. You should contact an attorney licensed in your state immediately to be sure your rights are protected.