Skip to main content

What date does the landlord have to turn the heat on in the building?

Westmont, IL |
Attorney answers 2


Depending on the outside temperature and local codes, a rental unit must generally be between 65 to 70 degrees i.e. habitable.

Housing codes typically have strict guidelines, depending on the time of year and outside temperature, for heating of rental properties.

Call your local Westmont housing authority Monday morning firth sthing and find out the requirements.

God bless. Best of luck to you.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter.


I went to the Westmont village website and searched the Village Code. It appears to be a violation not to provide heating from 10/1 through 5/1 annually at a minimum of 68 degrees fahrenheit, and the building code says every apartment is supposed to have equipment capable of producing at least 70 degrees at 3' over the floor level (typical bed height....?) during "ordinary minimum winter conditions". For clarification, validation and further information contact the Village Hall and ask for their code enforcement people.

Now if you are renting a place that has it's OWN heat (like a condo) the issue is who controls the heating. If YOU do, then the building code may be the answer. If the landlord does, then the violation provision may be in play. And if you are renting a condo and the association controls the heat, it's still your landlord but the landlord has to kick the association into gear!!!

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is currently licensed to practice law actively only in the State of Illinois, inactively in Florida. Responses are based solely on Illinois law unless stated otherwise.