Skip to main content

What date does the landlord have to turn on the heat in Maine?

Portland, ME |

I live in a three-unit building. The heat is controlled by the landlord. We have no heat and are freezing.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


No set date--even if your landlord put a specific date in the lease agreement it would likely be invalid on grounds of implied warranty and covenant of habitability, provided the landlord has received actual or constructive notice of the violation, and has unreasonably failed under the circumstances to take prompt, effective steps to repair or remedy the condition.

You must notify your landlord in writing. Do that immediately if you have not yet done so.

Then, recommend you immediately contact a local LL-Tenant attorney--frequently a letter from the attorney to the LL is enough to set matters straight. Use the search option or contact your local bar association and request a referral.

ME’s LL-Tenant laws can be reviewed at
There is also a legal services agency in ME, Pine Tree Legal assistance

Legal disclaimer: PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU TAKE ACTION, EMAIL OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in the Commonwealth of Virginia. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls. You you should not expect me to respond to your further questions if we don't have a written representation agreement in place (i.e. you have hired me). This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on since each state has different laws, each situation different, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a complete consultation and review of all the facts and documents.


I can't say what the date is in Maine, but I know in Massachusetts the landlord must turn the heat on by September 15. I would be willing to bet the date in Maine is roughly the same time of the calendar year.

I would recommend you address this concern both in writing and verbally to the landlord immediately. It may also be wise to contact an Attorney licensed in Maine if the problem persists. This is quite obviously a very serious matter that must be addressed immediately.

The answer provided in this forum on AVVO is designed to provide general information for users of AVVO and should not be construed as legal advice, or legal opinion on any specific facts or circumstances. AVVO Answers are here for general information only. The information presented on this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer