Skip to main content

What Court should we sue Petco inc in ? Federal or State?

Hayward, CA |

They have defamed slandered conspired to cover up the commission of a hate crime. Criminal negligence and abuse of process disregarded our health and safety on their property in Claifornia

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


State court. Unless you are alleging a violation of a federal statue or claim to have diversity jurisdiction. It does not appear from the facts that you do.


You shouldnt go forward without an atty in either venue, or you are asking to be slammed by Petco's attys. Consult with an atty in your area. Hate crimes/"criminal" negligence are criminal matters that the district attys office may pursue. Abuse of process is a very specific tort. if you proceed representing yourself, you will have to comply with all rules that attys must follow.


More information is needed to understand this case. Call one of the lawyers in your state who answered above to discuss in full.


Be careful about pursuing defamation claims without legal advice. California has robust anti-SLAPP laws and you could wind up paying for the defendant's attorneys and legal costs if your case is determined not to be sound.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


I would retain an attorney, first and foremost!!! Then I would do everything to keep the case in State Court in most cases.

DISCLAIMER: The information gathered from this website, Tryk Law or Benjamin P. Tryk is not legal advice. If you are in search of legal advice, you should consult with an attorney about your specific situation. Communicating with Tryk Law, Accident Injury Attorneys through the use of this website does not establish an attorney/client relationship. You should not disclose any information that you consider confidential until an attorney/client relationship has been created.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer