What comes after wage garnishment

Nicholasville, KY |

A debt collector was awarded wage garnishment against me about a year ago. In the last year they have not received any payment because I work part time and do not make enough money. What will likely be their next step? Will they come after my property or my spouses income?

Unless it's a joint debt, they can't go after your spouse's income. They can attach bank accounts, may be able to place liens on your home and cars, etc. Speak with a local bankruptcy attorney for more information. You can find one at nacba.org.

The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot be properly represented or accounted for in a response to an on-line question. Any answer, discussion or information is intended as general information only, is not intended to serve as legal advice or as a substitute for legal counsel, and should not be relied upon in making any decision. If you have a question about a specific factual situation, you should contact an attorney directly.

They can levy your bank accounts and other assets. If you have more than a just a little debt you should consider bankruptcy as a solution. You can find a great attorney here on this website by clicking on the Find A Lawyer tab.

The information provided herein does not create an attorney client relationship and is not a substitute for having a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney. It is important to have a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney as the information provided in this forum is limited and cannot possibly cover all potential issues in a given situation.

If you have property for the creditor to put a lien on they might, usually they will look to levy your bank account. You do not live in a community property state, so they cannot come after your spouses' income.