What choice one should make about bankruptcy chapter7,13 or none?

New York, NY |

I have a credit card debt for about 70K.I don’t have a job right now. No income or little income. No House ,car or cash in the USA, however, I do have an assets overseas which is in the form of Land, apartment which is worth around 100K.My questions are:

1) since my assets are greater than my debts .what are my chances of keeping them if I file for chapter 7?
2) what would happened if I do chapter 13
3) what would they praise my assets for example. I could say they are only worth 15k, who would praise the assets and give them a value,what documentation I need to bring to the trustee to show property?
4) how about if I don’t have access to the property papers. I lost them,what are the steps.
Thank you.

"I do have an assets overseas which is in the form of Land, apartment which is worth around 100K"

1) you cannot file Chapter 7 without disclosing this asset and if you do disclose this asset, the Court may, approve its sale.
2) You need income to file Chapter 13 or you can sell the house in Chapter 13 and repay the creditors, but you cannot pay the creditors less than they would receive in Chapter 7.
3) I am sure you will tell the truth
4) you must get the papers or you may not get your bankruptcy case approved.

Answers are provided for direction only; it is not a substitute for an office consultation.

I beg your pardon but someone told me it is time and money costing to try to find out someone assets overseas specially if it is a small amount such 70K,that is not what I'm implying to do but someone told me so .she said unless you are Donald trump.No trustee or credit card will have time and money to look for assets especially if u live in corrupted country where bribes and everything foes..is that true or false?

Michael Hal Schwartz

Michael Hal Schwartz

I am not sure what you mean by "I beg your pardon" but my answer stands, as I suppose does the opinions of the 4 lawyers that agreed with it.

I know of no wildcard exemption that would allow you to retain your 100K overseas property and let you discharge your $70K of your debt. You need to disclose the asset on your bankruptcy petition or it is a federal crime. If you did a Chapter 13, you would need to pay the creditors what they would otherwise receive in a Chapter 7. If they would be paid 100% in a Chapter 7, then you would need to pay them 100% in a Chapter 13. You cannot lie on the bankruptcy petition and claim that it is worth $15K when it is worth 100K. Again lying would be a federal crime. You would need to obtain the "property" papers which are likely to be requested by the Trustee.

In any bankruptcy, everything you own and everything you owe will be listed in the petition. Failure to disclose assets is a serious criminal offense. What you own stands for what you owe subject to certain exemptions or "things you're allowed to keep".

You situation will dictate whether a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13 is appropriate. Contact a bankruptcy attorney.

You have 100K in assets and 70K in liabilities. If you tried to file for bankruptcy under EITHER chapter, you would have to disclose both the assets and their real value, which, by the way, it is a federal crime to lie about.

The fact that your assets are outside the US means nothing when accounting for your assets. Tell the truth. A bankruptcy judge will not let you slide when you have the capability of paying off the valid debts by leveraging your equity in your overseas assets. And don't think that the creditors won't do their own asset searches to determine either the value of those assets and/or the existence of other assets.

Own up to your debts.

This does not constitute legal advice or the engagement of my services as an attorney.

Glenn Johnston

Glenn Johnston

Unless that someone was an attorney with debt collections experience, then why would you listen to them? How hard do you really think it will be to track down foreign assets, especially if you were transferring funds in and out of banks in the US that relate to said foreign assets? Moreover, after the Swiss tax evasion agreements several years ago, hiding assets offshore is next to impossible. And I would add that it is still a crime to fail to disclose such assets. Your choice: pay your debts, or don't report and end up in jail for a silly matter you can afford to pay off.

If you have over 20 credit card with that amount 70K and only 1 who sue you.what would be the best alternative to work with,would u work with only the person who sue,how about if they dont wanna workout a deal with u or give u more time to settle and if you do would they lower the money would they give u credit again would they clean u to get good credit again?

Glenn Johnston

Glenn Johnston

If you cannot pay ANY of the cards ( and I am assuming you CAN), then you should call EACH of them and try to negotiate a settlement on the debt. If you cannot do this for yourself, there are plenty of debt collection firms that represent people to negotiate down such debts. The smartest and easiest to do would be to offer to pay the full amount on a schedule that works with your income.