What charges carries more a summary disorderly conduct or a summary harassment with contact?

Brentwood, PA |

i was originally charged with a simply assault when i went to court they told be it was dropped to a summary disorderly conduct but when the final papers came in the mail it has a summary harassment with contact

Best Answer

Unlike my learned colleagues, I'm interpreting your question as indicating that you pled guilty to what you thought was a summary Disorderly Conduct charge rather than have a preliminary hearing on the misdemeanor Simple Assault charge and face possible prosecution in the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas in Pittsburgh. At some point subsequent to that disposition at the magistrate level (I presume Magistrate Bova), you became aware that the charge you pled to before him was showing as a summary harassment. If that interpretation is correct then I guess I'm uncertain what you would like to do. Both charges are summary offense with identical maximum penalties of up to 90 days in jail and/or a fine not to exceed $300.00.

Yes. But which one would be lesser if someone did a background check. thanks for the information

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

That depends on the views of the person (decision maker) who looking at it. In any event, summary convictions are eligible for expungements after five years of clean living.

It is a summary offense and you have to decide if you want to plead or not. It is in your best interest to retain an attorney.

A summary offense is a summary offense. From a purely perception persepective Disorderly Conduct is usually easier to explain away to prospective employers and others than a harassment charge. However as Mr. Keller advised you should consult with counsel before making a decision as to what to do.

This information does not create an attorney /client relationship and should not be use or relied upon to make any decision in your case. Only consultation with your own attorney can provide you with the advice you need for your case.

Both summary offenses are punishable by a 300.00 fine and/or 90 days in jail. If you plead or are found guilty and you dont have an extensive criminal, chances are you will be fined.

What I do with my clients is plead not guilty, set it for a summary hearing, then either have a hearing, or instead of a hearing, plead to the disorderly conduct. Having an attorney will help significantly.

all summaries are punishable up to 90 days in jail.